IT graduates in Pakistan not employableIT graduates in Pakistan not employable

The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) has expressed concerns about the state of Pakistan’s information technology (IT) sector. According to the SBP’s report, 90% of IT graduates in the country do not possess the necessary skills to secure employment in the growing IT industry. This highlights a significant gap between academia and the IT industry, which poses a threat to the sector’s future growth. In such time of crises Pakistan Lead Educationist and former LUMS Vice Chancellors takes a step by creating KnowledgeStreams to train students and graduates and make them a valuable assed to the evolving IT industry of Pakistan.

Despite an increasing number of IT graduates entering the job market, the majority of them lack the competencies and skills required to meet the changing demands of the digital landscape. This disparity in skills has become an urgent issue that experts and policymakers are calling for immediate attention.

Pakistan’s IT sector has been instrumental in driving economic growth, attracting foreign investment, and creating opportunities for exports. However, the current situation represents a critical point that could hinder the sector’s progress and impede the country’s long-term economic development.

The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) has reported that Pakistan witnesses an annual influx of 20,000 to 25,000 fresh engineering and IT graduates. While this has provided a stable foundation for software exports and the start-up industry, there are growing concerns about human capital constraints in the IT sector. Failure to address these constraints could impede future growth in the industry.

A forthcoming survey conducted by the SBP on start-ups reveals that a significant number of IT firms face substantial challenges in recruiting skilled employees. This problem is amplified by the limited resources of small and emerging IT firms, making it difficult for them to compete with larger, established companies that offer higher salaries and perks. The scarcity of skilled resources presents the biggest hurdle in achieving desired growth in software exports and technology start-ups.

The report highlights that only 10% of IT graduates are deemed employable while the rest 90 percent lack the technical and other industry required skills. Soft skills, such as marketing, problem-solving, critical thinking, entrepreneurial mindset, and proficiency in English, play a vital role in engaging international buyers and investors. Experts stress the need to update the curriculum to meet international standards and better serve the demands of overseas clients.

(Visited 31 times, 1 visits today)

By hachitm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *